Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Really? Throw it all away for cheese balls?

What is it in our wiring that makes it so difficult to exhibit a little self-control!?!  You'd think, as a Behavior Analyst who did research on self-control and impulsivity, that I'd have it all figured out.  I may understand why we go for the immediate reinforcement instead of the delayed but greater reinforcement, but that doesn't mean I don't give in...

In an effort to keep my husband from spending money at the gas station, I've resigned myself to buying him chips and candy and making him cookies.  I've tried to change his habits or substitute, but he usually just buys the stuff at three times the price and seems to eat twice as much.  Buying, baking, and packaging junk food is not the smartest thing for my weight loss, but it is the best for our budget and keeps me at home with my babies.

All this leads up to why today was not a good day...

I ate oatmeal for breakfast and headed out to Sam's Club to shop for my little one's baptism.  Turns out they had some amazing prices on chips and Easter candy.  I stocked up and plan to hide it from Hubby so he doesn't polish it off in a week.

Here's the problem...



I can't resist them!!!

I deviated from the plan because 2YO was pretty much fed on the fly outside today. He had some chicken and veggie chips and he had already had some grapes and candy from Grandma while we were shopping.

I had some of the veggie chips and grabbed some leftover asparagus for lunch during nap time.



It would have been great if I would have stopped there... But I had to open the cheese balls... And I really dug in!

I tried to make up for it by taking the kids on a 90 minute walk after nap...

Then there was dinner. I did alright here too. 2YO and I split some leftover chicken (skin removed when eating) and half a twice baked sweet potato.



2YO ate so well I decided to give him some cheese balls for dessert because he had asked for them at the store. And I dug in again! Almost worse than in the afternoon...

Grrr!!! When will my long-term goal be worth more than immediate gratification.

"Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels." And repeat mantra...

2 comments:

  1. I have very little self-control either. and for me, it does not get easier the more I use it! Grrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful - it seems so simple when you're sitting there felling guilty and down on yourself, but it doesn't stop ya next time either!

      Delete

I LOVE comments and, don't worry, there are no words to squint at and verify on this blog!! :) So, have at it!